Thursday, August 16, 2012

Getting Inked Again Part 2

My Mum was a craftswoman, she knitted, she crocheted she stitched she embroided she did it all and all really well. Bea can vouch for that she owns one of her beautiful baby blankets.
My Mum would would never sit and have still hands, she couldn't, she didn't know how to be still she would always be making something or working on some project. That was her pass time, her therapy.
She learned from her mother and her mother learned from her it was passed on over the years. It wasn't passed onto me I was never interested or any good at it when I did try but it was passed on to my sister and now her daughter.

She has piles and piles of drawings she would copy from something she would see. If she saw a design she liked she would go home get her pencil and tracing paper out and try and remember it so she could use it on her next artwork.
I have a cupboard full of her handy work. Sheets, Blankets baby blankets, cot blankets, lap blankets baby sheets, cots sheets, table clothes, tea towels bed socks lots and lots of them and so does every person in my family, she never stopped. They are all beautiful and something we will all cherish for ever and pass on to our loved ones.

So that is why I chose one her many designs as my tattoo. Here it is from my Mums original drawing to my Tattoo.

In Memory of my beautiful Mother who lost her life after a long battle with cancer.
She will never ever be forgotten. RIP


 




4 comments:

Delenn said...

That is beautiful, what a wonderful tribute to your mom.

Leah said...

Oh wow, what a beautiful tattoo and way to remember your Mum xx

Bea said...

You know, last time I had a clear-out I told myself I was going to be ruthless, especially with stuff like baby blankets which aren't much use to us any more. But I still couldn't part with that one your mum gave us. It's just beautiful, and very special aside from that, too. I think when we are back somewhere cooler it'll look great spread out on a little person's bed.

In the meantime, your choice for your tattoo is perfect, even if your mum would not have agreed. It's a lovely tribute.

Bea

maytey said...

Can we please see some pictures of all that linen? Would love to see her completed handywork! I love that you have taken her design and put a new twist on it. Perfect :)